The 7th Q! Film Festival organized by a non-profit organization Q-munity will be held from 08 August – 16 August 2008. Showcasing around 80 films (feature, documentary and shorts) coming from more than 20 countries, the theme this year is “Naturally Different.” Q! Film Festival is a leading showcase for diverse, international LGBTIQ (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Intersex & Questioning) film festival in Asia. In this 7th Q! Film Festival, Q-munity join forces with Kalyana Shira Foundation to present the new section: Human Rights. The highlighted films are :
- The Amazing Truth About Queen Raquela (Dir: Olaf De Fleur Johannsson – Iceland/Philiphines)
- I Don’t Want to Sleep Alone (Dir: Tsai Ming Liang - Taiwan/France)
- My Super 8 Season (Dir: Alessandro Avellis - France)
- Spinnin’ (Dir: Eusebio Pastrana – Spain)
- Sita Sings The Blues (Dir: Nina Paley - USA)
- Good boys (Dir: Yair Hochner - Israel)
- A Very Natural Thing (Dir: Christopher Larkin - USA)
- With Gilbert and George (Dir: Julian Cole - UK)
- 881 (Dir: Royston Tan - Singapore)
- Risk, Stretch or Die (Dir: Saskia Heyden - Germany)
- The Birthday (Dir: Negin Kianfar & DaisyMohr - The Netherlands)
- Suddenly last winter (Dirs: Gustav Hofer & Luca Ragazzi - Italy)
- Love songs (Christophe Honore - France)
Human Rights Section:
- Perempuan Punya Cerita (Chants of Lotus) – Dir. Fatimah T. Rony, Upi, Nia Dinata, Lasja Fawzia - Indonesia
- 9808 – Dir. Anggun Priambodo, Ariani Darmawan, Edwin, Hafiz, Ifa Ifansyah, Lucky Kuswandi, Otty Widasari, Ucu Agustin, Steve Pillar Setiabudi, Wisnu Suryapratama - Indonesia
- May – Dir. Viva Westi - Indonesia
- Suddenly Last Winter – Dir. Gustav Hofer & Luca Ragazzi - Italy
- My Super 8 Season – Dir. Alessandro Avellis - France
- Opera Tikus Got – Dir. Santosa Amin - Indonesia
- Dua Sisi – Dir. Faisal - Indonesia
- The Birthday – Dir. Negin Kianfar & Daisy Mohr – The Netherlands
Most of the events are FREE OF CHARGE and will take place in:
Blitz Megaplex at Grand Indonesia
Galery Cemara 6
Centre Culturel Francais (CCF) Salemba
This year festival will also be attended by the directors, actors as well as the organizer of film festivals from abroad, such as:
1. Julian Cole – Director (With Gilbert and George) – United Kingdom
2. Saskia Heyden – Director (Risk, Stretch or Die) - Germany
3. Ocean Leroy – Actor/Drag King Performer (Risk, Stretch Or Die) - Germany
4. Poj Anorn – Director (Bangkok Love Story) - Thailand
5. Chaiwat Thongsaeng - Actor (Bangkok Love Story) - Thailand
6. Jun Lana – Director (Roxxxanne) - Phillipines
7. Josh Kim – Director (The Postcard, The Police Box) – South Korea
8. K. Raja Gopal – Director (Lucky 7) – Singapore
9. Anita Schoepp – Director (Dedicated) - Canada
10. Petra Van Dongen – Cinemasia Film Festival Holland
11. Laura Gerber – Director Berlin Asian Hotshots Film Festival
12. Victor Silakong – Director Bangkok World Film Festival
Apart from the film screenings, the festival also has some wonderful fringe events not to be missed involving some well-known artists, like:
3 Photo Exhibitions
1. “Q! Life in Paris” by French Photographer: Amaury Grisel.
2. “Transgender in Indonesia” by Indonesian Photographer: Adi
3. “What Queer?” by several Indonesian and international professional and non-professional photographers.
Outdoor Screenings will be held during weekends at Goethe Institute, where the audiences could enjoy watching movie in an open air under the stars.
A talk show called “Silat Lidah Binan” adapted from one of Indonesian television channel program, with audiences that will throw the topics to be brought up to the panelists. The panelists that have been confirmed are: Melissa Karim, Ria Irawan, Djenar Maesa Ayu and will be moderated by Alvin Adam.
There is also a small comedy operette talk show called “Rush Hour” that will be performed by non-professional actors with some well-known guest stars.
Other program is the literature event. There will be a book launch “Heterophobia”, the second book of “Macho Man Ngomong Cong” – The Serial, taken from a blog author; Fa. Together with Institut Pelangi Perempuan, Q! Film Festival is also having a book discussion on poetry and short stories by lesbians.
The Festival also invites you to join the Q! Gossips. The hot topic is Homosexuality and Religion; a heated panel discussion with some religious experts. Another Q! Gossip’s subject is The application of “Bahasa Binan” or Indonesian Queer’s Language that has been a popular slang language from psychology and linguistic point of view.
All further completed info can be found at our website by end of July: www.qfilmfestival.org
Please pass this info to friends and lovers and ex-friends, ex-lovers that you think might be interested in our events.
See you in August!
Q! Film Festival team
Film Traffic & Administrator
Q!Film Festival 2008
Jakarta, 08 - 16 August 2008
Bali, 21 - 24 August 2008
Surabaya, 14 - 19 October 2008